EASTER TUNA COMPETITION
Please click the relative links below:
- Easter Club Competition Entry Form;
- Easter Club Competition Rules (please read these); and
- Easter Club Competition Indemnity.
The aim of this event is to get our members together and try to open our tuna grounds to not only our regular deep-sea fishermen but also to members who may not have the opportunity to fish “the current” and to encourage junior anglers with a family participation during the event. Please bring the kids and support our Easter Egg hunt around the weigh in station on Sunday 12 April at 15h30.
- All skippers must be a 2020 paid-up member or life member of the Club.
- Participation in this event is free to all paid-up members.
- All Club member participants in the competition will receive 2 free tickets to the closing dinner on Sunday, 12 April 2020. Additional tickets may be purchased at a cost of R130.00 each. The bar will be a cash bar with member discounts applicable.
- Non-members may fish on a boat (skippered by a member) but will pay an entry fee of R400.00 and will receive 1 free ticket to the closing dinner. Additional tickets may be purchased subject to availability.
- Entries close on 30 March 2020.
A special request to skippers – Should any skipper require crew or have an “extra spot” on his boat we ask that you please contact Richard Fulford 082 990 7225 and we will try to find a club member to fill that spot. Similarly, for members keen to fish and looking for a possible spot, contact us and we will try to hook you up.
There are no boat prizes and only individual heaviest fish prizes.
Only tuna count for prizes and no participant may weigh more than 2 fish per day and no fish under 15kgs may be brought to the scale.
First prize – R10 000.00
Second Prize – R5 000.00
Third Prize – R2 000.00
Program of Events
This competition will only be fished on 2 days: Saturday, 11 April and Sunday 12 April 2020. Should only one day be fished, the competition will not be extended to the Monday. Should the weather be foul, and no days are fished, we will still hold the closing dinner on Sunday which will then be an “Easter opskop”. No refunds will be made to non-member participants if the competition is blown out.
- Friday, 10 April 2020:
- 15h00 – 17h00 – Boat Registration at the Club
- 18h00 – Skippers Briefing at the Club
- Saturday, 11 April 2020:
- 06h30 – Fishing (weather permitting)
- 16h00 – Scales open
- 17h00 – Scales close
- Sunday, 12 April 2020:
- 06h30 – Fishing (weather permitting)
- 16h00 – Scales open
- 17h00 – Scales close
- 19h00 – Prize giving and closing dinner.
We look forward to your entry and to seeing you over the Easter weekend.
Finally, please remember 27 April – 2 May 2020 are the dates for our Main Tuna Challenge.
Just to let you know that one of our yachting members will be participating in the 2020 Cape 2 Rio yacht race. They will be leaving Port St Francis at the end of November (we will let you know the date) and sailing to Cape Town where they will be until the race starts on 4 January 2020. Below are some details about them and for any more info you may go to their website – Cape2Rio2020 yacht Tam Tam Such excitement to have one of our own participating and we wish them all the very best!! We will notify you all of the date they will leave the harbour – it would be great to be there to support them and cheer them on their way.
Make: Simonis 35
Designer: Alex Simonis
Boat Type: Monohull
Owner: Jasper van der Westhuizen
Skipper: Jasper van der Westhuizen
Number of Crew: 5
Club: Port St Francis yacht club
Country: South Africa
Tam-Tam (SA3810) is an Alex Simonis-designed 35’ fractional-rig sloop, built by Fred Scholz Marine and launched in September 1991. The Simonis 35 design has made podiums a few times in previous Cape to Rio races. Three of them competes in this race.
Jasper, our skipper has owned Tam Tam since 2018 and bought her with an eye to competing in offshore events and competed in the MBR 2018 shortly after acquiring her.
Tam Tam has a seasoned crew with Jasper van der Westhuizen as skipper. The 4 crewmembers come from all over South Africa, all with a shared dream of competing in the 2020 Cape to Rio Yacht Race. Jasper has competed in the 2011 Cape to Rio and is also no stranger to other local long distant races like the Vasco and MBR’s. Jose da Silva, whose father competed in the first ever Cape to Rio in 1971 will be paying homage to his father’s journey of around 50 years ago. Jana Loubser, who grew up in the middle of the Karoo some 400km from the nearest ocean has dreamed of doing the Rio race since she was 7 years old and Ryan Den Drijver who has sailed more freshwater miles on Vaaldam than saltwater miles , wants to challenge himself with a crossing of the Big Blue.
Our inspirational skipper lost an arm in 2004 due to cancer. This handicap has never made him less capable or slowed him down – EVER. Jasper is not only a skilled sailor but also a keen cyclist. He completed the Cape town Cycle tour earlier this year for the 15th time and competes in mountain bike races on a regular basis.
Tam Tam’s crew will be sailing for all the people who they lost or have been affected by cancer- a celebration of their lives and the courage they had to fight. They will be setting up crowd funding for a Cancer charity organisation. (Yet to be named) Supporters can commit to an amount for every sea mile which Tam Tam completes in the Cape to Rio race and back to Cape Town.
Lastly we wish to thank M-QUIP MINING,SENTRAVAAL BROKERS both from Witbank ,THOR DRILL RIG and JASPER VAN DER WESTHUIZEN AND BODENSTEIN INC both from Pretoria, for their sponsorship which makes this expensive voyage possible.
The club has re-opened and will again be open 6 days a week from Tuesday to Sunday.
Following the lousy weather we had in the Tuna Challenge this year and requests from some members that we try to bring the competition forward, the Committee stole a march and has secured the week commencing 27 April 2020 for next year’s competition which has 2 public holidays in it.
The 2020 Tuna Challenge will be held from 27 April to 2 May 2020.
The AGM and December Competition dates and details will be communicated in September.
PORT ST FRANCIS SKI BOAT CLUB WOULD LIKE TO THANK IT’S VALUED
SPONSORS FOR THE 2019 TUNA CHALLENGE
ENGEN OIL CENTRE
WOODLINE SHADE SOLUTIONS
HUTTON AND COOK
SILVER LAKES MARINE
DIRK ELLIS MOTORS
EXECUSPECS – J BAY
THE STATIONERY BUTLER
SKIP VAN JAARSVELD
PORT ST FRANCIS HARBOUR
LYONS GLASS AND ALUMINIUM
BUILD IT – JEFFREYS BAY
HAIR BY CHANTEL
IMPORTANT NOTES ON NEW SAFETY SURVEY REQUIREMENTS
SADSAA have changed the requirements of the Annual Safety Surveys in conjunction with SAMSA.
The onus is on us the boat owner to present the surveyor with the following at point of survey.
- Download the relevant category documents from the attached requirements as published by SADSAA. Complete same by ticking the relevant blocks and initialling each page. DO NOT FORGET TO FILL IN THE FLARE EXPIRY DATES – FLARES TO HAVE MINIMUM OF 6 MONTHS TO EXPIRY AND BE REPLACED ON EXPIRY.
- Supply the following documents:
–Photos of vessel: Side views showing vessel registration no and call sign and from stern showing transon, motors and deck layout.
–Copy of ship station licence issued by ICASA.To be paid up – receipt is required. If you do not have a station licence, application to be made to ICASA Head Office in Sandton.
–Up to date Bouyancy Certificate. Certificates are valid for 10 years from date of issue.
- Fire extinguishers to be serviced with relevant invoice.
- Note that any front windows are to be clear, approved glass. Tinted glass is not allowed. If tinted change glass in order to comply with the law.
- When disposing of a vessel, the club must be informed. A change of ownership form is to be requested from the club secretary, completed and returned. Your PSF no must be removed as the no belongs to the club and not the boat owner.
- All Equipment to be displayed on the vessel Deck For Inspection. Please make sure that your safety gear is compliant with regulations as per the documents you present to the surveyor. Should you not be present on the approved date, please contact me to make arrangements for your survey.
SHOULD ANY OF THE ABOVE NOT BE COMPLIED WITH AND CLUB FEES ARE OUTSTANDING THE SURVEY REQUEST WILL BE DENIED UNTIL FULL COMPLIANCE AND BE SUBJECTED TO AN ADDITIONAL FEE.
Should you be unclear of anything please contact us.